I think any human being understands the importance of being properly insured. We need it in order to have a high quality of life and to stop worrying about outrageous medical bills piling up like dust on shelves. But what if you have a Pug, do you have to insure it as well? And if yes, what is the best pet insurance for Pugs? We will definitely have to research the topic in-depth by discussing the top 5 insurance plans you can enroll your precious pooch in. Some of them offer larger co-pays, but better payouts. While others offer minimal co-pays, but don’t reimburse as much. Any pet owner can choose what suits him/her best and makes more sense for a particular dog’s situation. For now, let’s talk about why you will need to have your pal insured, to begin with.
Why Do I Need Health Insurance For My Dog?
Having a reliable plan guarantees you peace of mind. Knowing that your fur baby is protected in case something serious were to happen to it (like an urgent surgery) relieves stress and makes you confident that you are doing the right thing as a pet parent. Again, as we have mentioned in the introduction, all the two-legged need to be covered in case they have to take care of a suddenly surfacing medical problem. Especially as a person nears his/her “golden age.” And anybody who is a pet owner knows that our four-legged pals develop very similar/same illnesses. Therefore they need to be protected just like we do.
Being insured is especially important in the 2 stages of a dog’s life: a puppy and a senior one. Why? In the former stage, you have to bring it to the vet to receive a puppy-geared set of shots, and you will have to come back multiple times. The latter is a no-brainer: your senior mutt starting to have ailments and needs to be seen by a veterinary specialist more often.
Do you like to bring a furry bundle of joy to the dog parks/daycares? Then it is even more important to insure it compared to the pooch who doesn’t socialize much. Being in a pack of other canines raises the chances of contracting an infection like Kennel Cough, Leptospirosis, or Rabies. The latter one has a very high mortality rate amongst fluffy creatures. Hence, it is better to invest a certain amount into administering all the necessary vaccines than to pay thousands of dollars later to treat a problem that could’ve been easily prevented. And, let me tell you: vet bills can easily make you bankrupt if you have a wrinkled pal living with you as they tend to get a lot of health issues. You will have to pay out of pocket if you don’t have good Pug insurance to rely on for reimbursement. In case you are thinking about getting one, you may be wondering what age you should enroll your pet at. Let’s get to it.
When Should I Get My Pug Insured?
Please make sure you sign your wrinkled pooch up for suitable Pug pet insurance when it is still in a puppy stage. The reason is that most companies would gladly provide coverage for a young dog as it is not developing anything serious yet. Therefore, they are going to collect their monthly fee without the need to pay out much for shots/procedures that older dogs would require.
Did you know that the vast majority of insurance companies wouldn’t even consider getting a client whose dog is over a certain age? Well, it makes sense for them as these businesses don’t want to be responsible for outstanding med bills in a pet’s senior stage. In this instance, they will be paying out more than they will get in return.
Now, is there such a thing as insurance for a Pug? And, if affirmative, what the best pet insurance for Pugs would be?
The Best Pet Insurance For Pugs
When it comes to those adorable flat-faced creatures, they can be signed up for any plan suitable for a canine fella. You can choose one that won’t break your bank while offering the exact coverage you need. Some plans offer better surgery or dental coverage while others reimburse more for health screening visits. Dig into these top 5 plans below and see which one might hit home with you.
- Lemonade: it has gotten the “best choice 2022” award and has a 9.8 score out of 10. Pretty darn good if you ask me! This plan offers coverage for preventative visits, diagnostics, tests, and certain invasive procedures like surgeries. You will be paying about $10 a month which would fit into practically any family’s budget. In case you have a few furry friends in your home, you can request a discount for any additional brother/sister.
- Pumpkin: this plan is perfect for pooches who constantly develop dental problems (and if you have a Pug pal, they can fit into that category). It has a 90% reimbursement rate for your peace of mind and tight wallet. Pumpkin offers a 10% discount for any additional pooch you want to enroll. It may not sound like much, but in the end, you will be able to save a ton, if you have 3+ pets. No breed limits, any four-legged buds welcome!
- Embrace: with a 9.1 out of 10 this company scores a “bronze” number 3 spot, offering 24/7 pet help support. It makes it easy for a parent to reach a representative if there are any issues with his/her fur baby. Just like its Pumpkin counterpart, this plan has a 10% discount for multiple pets as well as for military families. Almost all claims are processed, literally, none are denied.
- Pawp: has a very cool 24/7 vet video call and/or chat option so you can have help practically at your fingertips. Any client gets a $3000 emergency fund that he/she can use either for one pet or divide the amount between all furry siblings. For $24 a month you get unlimited pet care, be it wellness exams or something more serious that needs to be immediately taken care of.
- ASPCA Health Insurance: if you are an avid animal advocate who regularly donates to various pet causes, you definitely crossed paths with an American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Yet, not only are they a charitable organization but also the one that offers coverage for a man’s best friend. You can visit any vet: no reason to look for the one in your network. Almost a 100% reimbursement rate and speedy payouts!
We have just covered a topic of insurance coverage for canine fellas and talked about the top 5 plans you can easily consider to be a “safety umbrella on a rainy day,” so to speak. An owner will be confident that by choosing good coverage, he/she will be ready for anything life throws at him/her when it comes to a beloved pet’s health. Insurance is equally as important for a four-legged as it is for a human. Hoping your mutt will be one healthy and happy camper!